Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Not as scary as you might think...

I may have left some of you hanging last month and the month before that and the one before that... I posted about this big Blog Out Loud Event, and then I disappeared. Sorry about that.

I survived reading my blog out loud. My summary of the experience would be that it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be (hence the title of this post). I spoke clearly, slowly and only teared up once. There was thunderous applause and a few tears wiped away. It was an emotional post for me, even to read it 9 months later.

For the longest time, my blog has been mostly private. You will not find a "like" or reference on my Facebook page about it. I've found in the past year, since shoulder replacement #2, I have been more open about my illness and sharing of my experience - hence the Blog Out Loud event.

This whole sharing with people about my medical life has been a wonderful experience, for the most part. Most people are interested, concerned and curious. They aren't judging me for everything I'm not doing, they are in awe of what I can do with the cards that have been dealt to me. Again, not as scary as you think, spilling your sordid medical history to folks who thought they knew you, only to find out you beep in airports and are partially bionic - cue the music.

Sometimes I struggle with finding a song that works with the theme of my posts, but today, it was a gimme. The Tragically Hip are the ultimate Canadian Band, and one of my favourite songs is "Courage". While I don't use this word to describe myself, I understand that others do.


1 comment:

Lynn said...

Glad you came, and had a good time. I have to say, it was wonderful to meet you in real life - you're so powerfully positive and shone like sunshine. Hope to see you again soon!